Friday, April 29, 2011

#15 Lasagna by Candlelight


After two weeks of traveling and not doing a whole lot of cooking, I was looking forward to coming home and making some yummy homemade goodness. I took a special trip to the store to get the ingredients for lasagna since it's usually something that doesn't grace my dining room table too often. I picked a new recipe from a family friend from back home, made my usual adjustments (adding more veggies) and made sure to get the necessary ingredients.

Sadly, I came home to my cozy apartment to find that my entire building was out of electricity. Living in Mexico, this isn't such a rarity, but it nevertheless put a damper on my desire to make lasagna. However, my hunger won and I lit all 7 candles I own, placed them around the kitchen to illuminate the necessary ingredients and tools to make this week's new recipe.

Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 diced onion
McCormick's Steak Sea
soning
Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoons pesto
3 diced tomatoes
1 cup freshly cut spinach
1 (8-oz.) tomato sauce (I used pre-seasoned sauce)
garlic salt to taste
1 (8-oz.) package lasagna noodles (pre-cooked)
8 to 16 oz. mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
1 c. cottage cheese

Directions
In a saucepan, brown hamburger and onion. Add a dash of steak seasoning and red pepper flakes to give the meat some flavor. Add the pesto sauce. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach and garlic salt, simmer for 40 minutes. Salt to taste. Place 1/2 noodles in a 9 x 13 pan. Top with 1/3 sauce, 1/2 cheese and 1/2 cottage cheese. Repeat layers ending with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting (very important). And though you can't see much in the photo, I sliced some oranges to eat alongside the lasagna.

Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment