Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#28 Uncle Paul's Gelatin Poke Cake


Fourth of July brings a lot of good food and people we love together as the entire family reunites at the lake for the weekend. This year was extra special for me as I brought home my novio to meet the family. Not only did he love all the friendly faces, he couldn't get enough of all the new food and colorful tastes of Minnesota.

Specifically, he couldn't stop talking about my uncle Paul's jello poke cake. Paul is a talented chef, and he gets complete credit for this one. So if you're needing a sweet, light, simple and vanilla cake, go ahead and give this one a go. Or if you're not feeling up to making it, I still have half a cake in my fridge. Come on over before Walter gets to the rest of it.

Uncle Paul's Gelatin Poke Cake

Ingredients:
1 pkg white cake mix (I used vanilla)
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg (3 oz) Jell-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed (I used real whipped cream)

Directions:
Prepare cake batter and bake as directed on package (9 x 13 inch pan). Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2 inch intervals.
Add boiling water to gelatin and mix in small bowl; stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water; pour over cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.
Frost cake with Cool Whip, refrigerate 1 hour.
This is also a perfect cake to top with strawberries or blueberries as my uncle Paul always uses to make an American Flag on top for the 4th.

Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment